Woolacombe on the north Devon coast is such a beautiful place, three miles of golden sands. I’ve spent many hours wandering along the beach, sitting on the dunes, taking in the view with a drink at the Red Barn. Letting the cares of the world drift away. What’s not to like?
Some ideas for what to do in and around North Devon:
- From Woolacombe, walk up the steep, and I mean steep hill to Mortehoe for a cream tea at The Town Farmhouse.
- Spend and afternoon in Ilfracombe, wandering around the harbour, see Damien Hirst statue Verity statue and check out the beach through the tunnels.
- Cycle the Tarka Trail along the riverside and disused railway route from Barnstaple to Instow, then picnic on the beach.
- Take the Tarka Line train and enjoy the scenery from Barnstaple to Exeter .
- Visit the picturesque village of Clovelly, walk down the cobbled hill to the harbour. And when I say down, I mean doooown…
- Explore Lynton & Lynmouth taking the cliff railway down to Lynmouth harbour.
- Walk along the beach at Saunton Sands.
- For the kids there is The Big Sheep near Bideford.
- Bust mostly just enjoy the relaxing atmosphere in Woolacombe, sitting and playing on the dunes, eating pasties for lunch, and fish and chips as the sun goes down, before a drink at the Red Barn.
- Play pitch and putt on the lawns in front of, or just take in the views from the Woolacombe Bay Hotel lounge.